For many people the loss of a family pet can take years to get over yet despite this, a new study has found that many dog owners could be putting their precious pup at risk by failing to recognise the signs of a fatal disease which is on the rise in the UK.
Lungworm (A. vasorum) is a parasite that dogs can become infected with through eating slugs and snails carrying the larvae of the parasite. Once inside the dog’s system, the parasite travels through the lungs, ending up in the heart. If the infection is left untreated, the dog’s health can rapidly deteriorate, even resulting in death.
According to the “Be Lungworm Aware” study, vets have noticed an increase in diagnosed cases. Worryingly many pet owners don’t even know what the disease is or how to keep their dog from becoming infected.
So what is lungworm and what can you do to prevent your dog from picking it up?
Watch our web TV show where TV Vet Luke Gamble gives you the most up to date information on protecting your dog from this killer disease and TV presenter and animal lover Jenni Falconer on the consequences of not doing so.
For more information visit www.lungworm.co.uk